It’s spring break already?! Wow, this year is flying by. I cant believe I’m halfway done with my second year of college. Can I be a kid again???
Being home for a week means getting back into the kitchen (obviously!) I don’t know why, but I’ve been craving risotto like CRAZY. My mom’s go to recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa, it’s hands down my favorite.But of course, its only in my nature to want to lighten things up a bit, so I got to thinking: what would make a good substitute for arborio rice? And that’s when it hit me: Farro! Farro is a grain that is rich in fiber, as well as a good source of protein, B vitamins, iron, and magnesium. After a few more little adjustments to the original , I came up with a recipe that I think is a winner 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth, divided
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 white wine
- 2 tbsp butter, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas,
- 6 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat 3 cups of chicken broth on the stove until simmering.
- Combine farro and mushrooms with simmering chicken stock in a large, heavy bottomed pot with a lid (Dutch oven), and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and place on stove over medium high heat. Add wine, parmesan, butter, salt and pepper. Vigorously stir for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining cup of broth slowly if only if needed.
- Add peas and stir until heated through.
I was SO happy when it tasted exactly like the arborio rice version. Honestly, no one could taste the difference..which is always the goal when I make swaps in a recipe 🙂 Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Have a great week and a happy Easter ❤