Yesterday was a long one. After going to my 7 am P3 session at the gym, I hightailed it over to the doctor’s office for a intestinal bacteria overgrowth breath test. I’ll admit, I’m not a patient person. And this test pretty much drove me over the edge. It was just periods of waiting 20 minutes, broken up by being called back into a room to blow into a tube. After the 3rd round, I stupidly asked the medical assistant if this was the last time… I still had four more to go. So finally after 3 hours, they said they’d call me in a week with the results.
Anyway, the point I’m getting at is that after that ordeal, I didn’t feel like going back out to the store before I had to get my hair done to pick some stuff up for dinner. So I searched around the kitchen for ingredients I already had on hand. I decided on bean burgers. But I knew my family (myself included) was getting tired of the same bean burger recipe that we always have. To switch it up, I used inspiration from my stir fry sauce, and tried it in the burgers.
- 2 15 oz cans beans; rinsed and drained (I used one black and one cannellini)
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs (optional– I added some because my batter was a little runny)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (or Sriracha)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl
- Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, mix all ingredients together until mostly incorporated.
- Form mixture into 5 patties (if the batter is too wet, allow it to chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes)
- Heat skillet on medium high and coat with non stick spray. Cook on each side for 5 minutes
I actually loved how these came out. They were pretty spicy too, so if you aren’t into that, then go ahead and don’t add as much chili garlic sauce.
Such an easy meal to throw together on short notice, or if you’re being lazy like me, and don’t feel like venturing out to the grocery store 😉