It’s funny. I woke up to the sun shining, and a comfortable 45 degrees. When I walked out of 10 o’clock mass, the wind had really picked up, and the rain was coming down. Now, I’m looking outside and there’s snow falling. Welcome to Ohio.
Since my parents were too concerned with cleaning the floors this morning to answer my question of what we wanted for dinner, I made an executive decision. After scrolling up and down my Pinterest board, and flipping through a couple cookbooks, I pulled inspiration from a few different recipes, and finally settled on this Mexican Quinoa Bake. So I wrote down the ingredients I needed from the store, got ready for church, and out the door we went.
I love the combination of black beans and quinoa. They are both such great sources of protein, as well as complex carbohydrates and fiber. Along with the addition of all the other veggies in this dish, it’s a healthy, filling meal that satisfies your Mexican crave!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and diced
- 1 11oz can corn, drained
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese