Because I start work at 8 AM, I find it way easier to just get my workout in before hand and then stay at the Y after for my shift. Since I don’t really feel like eating breakfast that early, I bring it to work with me! That usually means rather overnight oats or a yogurt parfait.
Well, after weeks of just the standard “berries and banana” combo, I needed a some change in my life, like ASAP. I was at a little bit of a loss, but I searched my fridge for some ingredients and inspiration
I pulled out a pear that I brought at a market stand in the Strip District on Thursday, and got an idea: Spiced Pear Yogurt. It was a perfect fix for my meal on the go
So this is how it goes –>
- 1/2 pear, divided
- 3/4 cup plain Greek, nonfat yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- sweetener (optional; I used a little stevia)
- raisins/ crasins
- walnuts (or any type of nut you want!!)
- oats or granola
- Slice the half of your pear in half again. Take the 1/4 of the pear and dice.
- Place the diced pear in a small microwave bowl and heat for about 45 seconds in the microwave
- When they’re done, mash the pears until it resembles a sauce. Add in the chia seeds, spices, mix, and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, layer your yogurt in your container and mix in sweetener if using)
- When your pear mixture is cooled, layer it onto the top of your yogurt
- Dice up remaining pear and place on top
- Add on additional toppings
- Place in refrigerator overnight!
I took a bite and my first thought was “wow Mons, you did good.” I didn’t even get the chance to snap a good pic thats how fast I ate!
The combination of the pear and all the spices really works together, and the chia seeds thicken up to form a thick, creamy texture. This once is definitely a keeper. I cant wait to try this technique with other fruits and flavors!